There are essentially two compare engines within the IDE.

The LPEX compare uses colors and intersperses the changes in a single
file.  You open up the file you want to edit, take the compare option in
the editor and then select the file to compare to.

The Eclipse compare engine uses a side by side model to graphically depict
the changes.  In my opinion this is much nicer, but it does not have any
iSeries intelligence and does not provide any color coding of the language
or anything.  I also do not think it is particularly well suited to be
used as an editor for similar reasons.  I believe the only way you get
this compare engine is if you select two members and choose Compare with
-> Each Other.

The compare/merge facility in Eclipse 3.0 is being signficantly modified
and enhanced.  The problem with the current version is that all of the
editing functionality is provided by the compare tool so it lacks any
features provided by the "real" editors.  It simulates a few features for
Java, but that is it.  In 3.0, it is being redesigned to be able to
leverage the editors themselves which should yield more advanced editing
capabilities.

Mark

"Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/12/2003 09:37 AM
Please respond to Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries