Dean, I assume you are at 5.0 or 5.1 ....

you do need CVS or something like it (pvcs (softlanding resells it),
clearcase, ms vss, aldon affinity, mks implementor, etc)
to share your resources among the team. Its a very good investment,
as you'll eventually grow into it to share your RPG/CBL
source via iSeries projects, your Java code, your WebFacing projects,
your Web Projects and so on. Its a strategic investment.

While WDSC comes with the CVS client code built-in, for the others there
will be plugins you need to easily install on each client.

To team share your workspace, use the Team tab behind the Remote
Systems tree view in the Remote Systems Explorer perspective. Right-click
and select Team->Share Project. There you will identify the repository to
share to,
and then a whole whack of new actions appear for the Team-> menu. There
will be one for synchronize or something like that (depends on the
repository
vendor you choose).  This will push your RemoteSystemsConnection project
to the repository (this is the name of the project containing everything
sharable:
connections, filters, user actions and compile commands. Its filtered out
from
the Navigator view by default but you can unfilter it with the pulldown
from the
title bar).

Once its in the repository, your team members will then create their first
connection
in order to create this project. If they don't want/need their own
connection, they
can subsequently delete it. Then, use the Team view to share the project,
and
they will send their profile to the server and receive their colleague's
stuff form
the server.  The tricky part is this first synchronize will report every
file (dozens)
as being "in conflict" because there is no version info in their local
files yet. That's
ok... just go ahead and receive all the files from the repository,
overriding the
local copies, and then send any unique local files to the server. You don't
need
to do any merging as the files are actually the same.

Now, you are good to go:
   - every time someone creates a new connection, filter pool / filter,
user action or
      compile command, they specify which profile to put it in: their own,
or Team if
      they want to share it (or any profile if you create a new one and
tell them to
      activate it via the title bar pulldown in the Remote Systems view).
If they put it
      in a profile that everyone has activated (by default this is Team
only), then
      every everyone synchronizes they will see it.
   - every itme someone has something to share, they synchronize via the
team view,
      then tell their colleagues to do so as well. Colleagues will then
immediately see
      the new stuff.
   - the way it works is the RSE shows all connections, filters, user
actions and compile
      commands from all active profiles, concatenated. By default, these
things are
      created in your private profile, so that's all you see, but if you
synchronize and
      receive something created by someone in the Team view, then they
magically
      appear too.
   - note, synchronize brings in the whole project, so everyone will have
everyone
       elses private profile on their disk, including their connections,
filter pools, user
       actions and compile commands. However, they don't see these by
default
       because these profiles are not active. If you make them active,
you'll see them
       though. This allows you to work with your own stuff across multiple
PCs (what
       we call "roaming").

Phil Coulthard, STSM, iSeries AD,  IBM Canada Ltd. coulthar@xxxxxxxxxxx
905-413-4076, t/l 969-4076

----- Forwarded by Phil Coulthard/Toronto/IBM on 12/02/2003 01:20 AM -----
|         |           dclowe@xxxxxxxxxx|
|         |           wdsci-l-bounces@m|
|         |           idrange.com      |
|         |           12/02/2003 08:54 |
|         |           Websphere        |
|         |           Development      |
|         |           Studio Client for|
|         |           iSeries          |

<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                                  |
  |       cc:
                                            |
  |       Subject:  [WDSCI-L] How do you share the Team filter pools?
                                            |

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi,

Do I actually need to setup a CVS to share filter pools?

I want to setup the Team filter pools to have common compile commands,
library/member filters, and other goodies so that the developers don't
have to go through the process of setting them up on each machine, and
then I want to be able to add new filters to the Team pool and have the
developers see the changes I make...  Do the developers have to refresh
the Team filter pool or can they see it right away.

I can't seem to find a setting which specifies the common location of the
Team filter pool resources, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Dean