Okay, after looking at this, I think I know what the issue is. I had run
SpyBot Search & Destroy and had enabled some prevention stuff. One of which
was to lock the hosts file. I have now removed that lock.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Yantzi [mailto:yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 9:15 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Error on trying to open CODE through WDSc

Mike,

When you launch one of the CODE tools from the Workbench the RSE does a
couple of things under the covers:

1.  Generates a unique CODE alias for the RSE connection.  This will
typically be R0 followed by the last five characters of your RSE connection
name.
2.  Adds this alias to the Windows hosts table (typically found in C:
\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) which maps the generated alias to the IP
address for the iSeries.
3.  Registers the generated alias with CODE communications.
4.  Launches the CODE tool on the selected member using the generated
alias.

There are a couple of restrictions with this; the hosts file cannot be read
only and the RSE connection name contain and DBCS characters in the last 5
positions.  In addition to this there is a known bug (fixed in 5.1) if you
have 2 characters in the RSE connection name side by side that are not
valid in a CODE alias (i.e. any non alphanumeric characters.)

If none of those fix your problem then try to launch the CODE tool again
and let me know if:

1.  The R0... alias did get added to the hosts table
2.  The R0... alias got added to CODE communications (look for it in the
CODE communications daemon.)
3.  If there are any error messages in your .workspace\.metatdata\.log file
( typically found in something like:  C:\Documents and Settings\yantzi\My
Documents\IBM\wdsc\workspace\.metadata )

Hope this helps.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

|         |           "Wills, Mike N.  |
|         |           (TC)"            |
|         |           <MNWills@taylorco|
|         |           rp.com>          |
|         |           wdsci-l-bounces@m|
|         |           idrange.com      |
|         |           09/02/2003 12:18 |
|         |           Websphere        |
|         |           Development      |
|         |           Studio Client for|
|         |           iSeries          |

------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       "Midrange - WDSCI-L (E-mail)" <WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [WDSCI-L] Error on trying to open CODE through WDSc

I get this error when trying to open some source in CODE from WDSc:
To launch the CODE tools from the Workbench RSE connections must be
registered with CODE communications.  Possible cause:  The limit of 20
servers in CODE communications has been reached.  Delete some of the
servers
from the CODE communications console or stop and restart the CODE
communication daemon.

Any ideas on how to fix it. The system is setup in the Communications
Daemon.