Good afternoon!

1st: OS/400 V5R2, WDSC Version 5 with service packs installed. Client is Win XP Pro, current with service packs and security fixes, with 1 gig of memory, 60 gig hard drive.

I was wondering if there were any fixes in the Code Designer. I am trying (again) to use it for printer, display and physical file design, and am running in to some issues.

Currently I am working with a physical file. I start with an existing source, and alter it to suite the new file. I need to delete a lot of the existing fields, and then add the new fields I need.

The tree view listing of fields on the left side of the window does not act the way a normal tree view acts in windows. When I right click on a field that is NOT already selected, the field should be selected, and then give me the pop up box of actions I can take with that entry. What I get is a "verify file" box, and the field that was selected somewhere else in the list is still selected. I should not have to double click - once left to select, and then right to get the dialog box.

Ok, so now I want to delete a range of field entries from the tree view. I left click on the first field in the list that I want to delete, and it is selected. I then try to hold down the shift key to select a range of fields to delete, and click on the last field I want to delete. The most recently clicked entry is selected, and no other entry in the list. I can't delete a range of field entries?? (Sigh!!)

I like to keep my hands on the keyboard, and think that it might be faster to delete these fields using the "ctl + delete" shortcut. I click on the first field to be deleted and then press the magic key sequence. That field disappears from the list! OK! The next field I want to delete is now selected and I press the magic key sequence again. --- Nothing happens? --- I found out that if you click on the entry with the left mouse button, the magic delete key sequence will work. If you don't, the delete will not happen. (Sigh again!)

It looks like there is no fast way (without going in to Code edit or SEU first and deleting a bunch of lines) to delete a bunch of fields from the designer without double clicking on each one, and then choosing delete.

All of this to ask, is the designer dead?? Are there no bug fixes, no development? Do we have to wait for the WDSC version to make an appearance? Has the WDSC graphical designer for 5250 screens, printer files, and physical files made it's debut? Will it ever be there? is it being fazed out for webfacing? What is the plan?

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!

Jim Essinger
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Student Loan Fund of Idaho

6905 Highway 95