Only 99%?  My 1 Ghz 522MB RAM PC went straight from 0 to 100% of the CPU
for 20 minutes with WDSC 5, so there.  :)
Actually, I use CODE instead of the lpex editor because lpex is so slow,
buggy, I like CODE's change management integrated,  I have heard complaints
of caching to the registry and other caching monsters, etc, etc, etc.  Mine
locks up on a simple change in the STRCODE settings in the Daemon.  Just
change the startup beep to a different value and click OK and you are
stuck.  Actually, I was doing some testing to figure out where the problem
lies and it appears to be Java since we have the same problem in different
areas.  When my PC came back from its vacation, I decided to try it again
and this time it was really fast.  I know it has happened before where it
takes another 20 minutes when I did the same thing.  I'm not sure when
everything is cached but it appears to use some Java cache.  My guess is
that Java is caching and after it is done, anything using most of Java
should be cached but I don't know.  Could some other process that was not
cached cause the same thing?  Is 100% CPU normal for Java?  At least give
us 10 or 20% of the CPU so we can have a chance at doing something else.
It sounds like 20 minutes is 20 minutes whether you are using 512MB RAM or
1GB.  It seems like IBM's answer to slow downs has been to just throw more
memory at it since memory is cheap.  I keep hearing that but is that really
going to help when a 1GB RAM PC is at 100% of the CPU for the same time as
a 512MB PC?  If I didn't know it was WDSC I would think it was a virus.  I
haven't even bothered mentioning slowness to IBM because I know they have
said in the past that it is one of their priorities.  I assume they are
working on it and if not then they probably have something more important
they are working on.  That is where workarounds become important to us.

Craig Strong

<snip>
I'm having a problem with WDSC 5 on 2 different machines where jLpex
appears to go off into a loop.  I can do something inoffensive like paging
and the cursor will sit there flicking between an hourglass and a regular
pointer while the rest of eclipse is locked out.  The task manager shows
the javaw task eating up 99% of the CPU.  Sometimes leaving it for a while
(several minutes) lets it sort itself out.  I've left it over 20 minutes
today before I had to kill it.

Machines are both XP, both with WDSC service pack 5.0.1 applied.  One is a
512Mb Dell Laptop, the other a 1Gb Athlon machine.  I get the same problem
connecting to a 5.1 and 5.2 AS/400.

Has anyone else seen this?

Rob
<end snip>