Just finished installing WDSCi 5.0 on Win2k with 2 gigs RAM.  I am an
experienced and happy Code user.  The Win2k box is in the server farm, not
at my desk, so the following is from memory.

The install process was a 7 out of 10.  Between CD 3 and CD 4 I started
getting message boxes saying 'Unable to write to log file'.  After clicking
OK (the only choice) several times, I was prompted for CD 4.  The install
continued, but I didn't notice that there was another error window under the
'Next CD' window for a bit.  I clicked OK and was told that CD 3 needed to
be put back in the drive.  Well, I waited until the install was done with CD
4, replaced CD 3 and clicked OK a dozen or so times.  I then waited
overnight to see if any ramifications would manifest themselves.  All
apparently is well.

So now it's time to install sp0.  I follow the instructions and initialise
the workspace, then close the IDE.  Double click on wdsc50sp0.exe and it
expands.  A window winks into existence and vanishes, so I _think_ something
ran, but there's no confirmation.  Not comforting.

I re-open the IDE and follow the instructions to get to the install/fix
perspective to install sp1 but it doesn't show the updates like I think it
should.  Close the IDE and open a DOS window.  Run the EXE from sp0 and
re-open the IDE.  Ah!  There's the update.  Follow the instructions and it
appears to run.

So, the install and fixpacks seem good, but I wouldn't recommend a typical
SEU user try to install this.

I'm a green-screen RPG programmer.  Actually, it's mostly communications
type stuff, so there aren't many screens; mostly RPG IV.  So I create an RSE
connexion to the development box and to the test box and off I go to open my
latest work.  The RSE connexions went great, but my first impression is that
I'm not going to like broad filters at all.  My second impression is that
the darned panes are too small on an 800x600 monitor setting.  My third
impression is that I can't tell which pane belongs to which iSeries, and
that's not good.  Anyway, It's relatively painless to use RSE to open a
source member.

I'm a Code/400 guy, so I click on the source window (hate the mouse - can't
I F6 or something to move between panes?), press the escape key (to get to
the command line) and type 'find emphasis match Elapsed[a-z]' and get a
message that 'FIND' is not a command.  Oh, no.  The commands are different.
Is there a cross-reference from Code to jLpex commands anywhere?  I use the
command line A LOT.  A simpler findText works, but ctrl-n (for next) does
not.  Waaaah!  The command keys are different too!  I bet there's a command
key reference; I'll look that one up myself.  On the other hand, the new
find dialog seems good enough for most searches, so this may not be too bad.

My playtime is over for the nonce.  That's my first impression of the
editor.  I'll go on another date after I've caught my breath.
  --buck