Instead of a full blown web service you can write an ASP.Net app that can take in URL requests or Posts and send back formatted response data that you can use in your RPG application.

Then use something like LIBHTTP to post requests and receive responses.

We've been doing this approach for over 10 years, even before REST became a term and it works well :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

------------------------------

message: 5
date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:12:47 -0400
from: "Bryce Martin" <bmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [SystemiDotNet] Can we pass parameter from CL or RPGLE
tocall a .Net program on a windows server?

Matt and Bill,
I'm trying to avoid this scenario where the IBM i is writing directly to the MSSQL database. This is because I have to write this functionality in .Net anyway for other .Net based programs, so I really just want it to be able to be called from everywhere. I'd rather not maintain two identical pieces of logic. If we need to, we will, but since we're only writing the IBM i integration as a stop gap until we get the system replaced in the next year I'd like to use what I was planning on writing in .Net anyway. So maybe a web service type approach would be better, but then there is special coding in order to make this work from the IBM i anyway, right?

Thank You
Bryce Martin
National Ticket Company
570-672-2900 ext. 226