  • Subject: MPS & Router Setup
  • From: "Muir, Betsy" <BMuir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:11:38 -0400

Is there anyone out there that might have suggestions for router setup to
handle the following problem?

One of our plants manufactures rubber dipped products.  The process requires
'tools' shaped like the rubber item that we are making.  The tool is dipped
into a vat of liquid rubber that adheres to the outside of the tool.  After
the rubber is dry, the item is removed from the tool.  An example of our JBA
router setup is:

Item RUB01
Operation 10 = Dipping
Machine Time = 1492 pcs/ hour - this is the cycle time of the dipping
operation based on an unlimited number of tools

We in fact only have 660 tools for this RUB01 item and can only cycle the
tools twice in three 8 hours shifts (= 1320 pcs /day).

If we get a customer order for 4000 pcs the system calculates that it will
take only 2.7 hours to dip this many, when in fact it takes us 3+ days due
to tool constraints.  If we change the pcs / hour on operation 10 to reflect
1320 pcs / day (55 pcs/hour) the standard hours, costs, efficiencies are not
accurate.

Does anyone know how the Critical Resources function works (32/MDM)?  Would
this be something we should look at?

We are currently running 3.5.2 SP2.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Betsy Muir