  • Subject: Re: GL Inventory Balances <> Inventory Module Balances -- AFI
  • From: cbowker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 16:38:25 +0100

This is a problem I have experienced over 10 years with JBA (with and
without AFI).  We use the Style version of the software and are currently
at V3.5.1.

The first thing to be aware of is that some cost adjustments will not
create a GL posting.  If you are using FIFO, the recent versions now write
an INP96 record, but average or standard costing adjustments do not.  The
second thing to be aware of is that unless the posting rules are set up
very carefully in AFI it is possible for some transactions to slip through
the net or to be caught by two rules.

The first step in reconciling inventory movements from one day-end to the
next is to use the summary at the end of the daily stock movements audit
(IN043) and check if this does reconcile the movement in value.  If not
then perhaps someone adjusted a cost or did not exit the goods receiving
program before going home. (In the Style version of the software inventory
balances are updated when you hit the F8 key but the audit records are held
on a workfile which is used to update the audit files INP95/96 and the FIFO
file INP83 later, so if you don't exit the program the update has taken
place, but the audit record which records the transaction is not written -
AFI posts from this file so you have a change in inventory value, but no GL
posting).

 If step one was ok, then step two should be to try reconciling each
movement type (customer orders, purchases, adjustments etc, etc) to the GL.
Depending on the complexity of your GL structure you could, for instance,
check if the customer orders value is equal to your cost of sales.

The nearest equivalent file to INP96 in the financial modules is the AFI
postings file FIP45.  Depending on how your consultant set things up this
could be almost impossible to reconcile to INP96. The original posting
reference in FIP45 for inventory postings is the date and time of the
movement, so apart from company code this is the only cross-reference to
INP96.  We have found that incorporating stock codes and movement reason
codes in the data string, although not used to determine the GL account can
be invaluable in tracing differences like this.

Good luck with the investigation.