  • Subject: RE: Has GEAC withheld your Source Code...?
  • From: Brad Hudson <BHudson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:44:01 -0400

We have encountered a similar problem here.  Our main contract specifies
that we get source code, but we purchased e.supply (JBA's b2b e-commerce
offering) late last year, and did not include similar verbiage in the
addendum to our contract.  Like you, we had a verbal agreement that we would
receive source code, and we actually have received source code until about
two weeks ago when I asked for the latest version.  I was told that
GEAC-JBA's policy regarding source code had changed, and that I would not
receive any further source code.

Because e.supply is relatively new (and has apparently been discontinued as
well, but that's another story), we still don't have a product that is
suitable for production.  I was just to the point where I thought I could
take the product and make the remaining bug fixes and the modifications
required for our specific business when I found out the good news.  Now I'm
left with an incomplete product that I cannot modify.  This means that I
will have to:

A) Rely on JBA for all bug fixes and modifications (fat chance);
B) Take the source that I do have and try to complete the package for our
needs (this includes correcting some bugs that JBA has already corrected,
but did not give me the source in time); or
C) Scrap the whole project and find a company who will make their money by
providing good products with good support and intelligent upgrade paths,
rather than by squeezing everything they can from customers who have
committed too much to their product to back out.

Are there any other e.supply customers out there?  Would you like to share
your experiences?