  • Subject: Re: Anyone have thoughts on impending purchase of JBA by GEAC?
  • From: "OleBlighty" <oleblighty@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:39:52 -0700

GEAC made the formal offer the week before last.  As far as I am aware it
was at 250p and it will be approved.  For me personally, that was fine as I
bought shares at 89p.

JBA has already been "cleaning house".  10% of the development staff in the
UK were cut loose 6 weeks ago.  Out here in California, JBA just cut approx.
20% of it's staff across all departments.  Then they immediately started
hiring technical staff as replacements.  The upper management has been
changing in a very regular basis (3-6 months).  But generally it looks like
business as usual (whether that is good or bad is a completely different
matter).

Who the hell knows what GEAC will do.  But I bet we don't hear any plans in
the near future.  I would hope they are committed to the support of existing
customers and products, and hopefully speed up the release of the new
version.  Only time will tell but I am betting that things in JBA (sales,
shareprices, support) will get better...forever the eternal optimist.

I hope they do not bring the development to North America.  That would be a
mistake in my opinion.  Of course it would be great for American companies
but what about the rest of the world.  How many people in America know the
intricacies of Pan-European trade, multi-currency and accounting laws.  You
say the product has been coded in a vacuum.  I know from personal experience
(I was JBA's Financials Product Development Manager) that is just not true.
Just because they do not put something in the product doesn't mean they
didn't listen, it just means they perceived other requests as a priority.
Not every company can get exactly what the require in the standard product,
it would just be to big a cumbersome.  As you say, the BIG guys requests are
listened to much more, isn't that just a fact of life.  They spend more
money, they have more "clout".

Anyway, just my own personal thought and opinions.

Regards,

Mark.