  • Subject: Re: Anyone have thoughts on impending purchase of JBA by GEAC? w/P.S.
  • From: "Randy Smith" <Randy_Smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:45:58 -0500

There were comments that Ken Briddon, Chief Executive of JBA, had previously
worked for GEAC.  It's unlikely that other parties are interested in acquiring
JBA, so the little spat some of the stockholders put up, which delayed the
decision for six weeks, will probably end quietly.  Many people that had
purchased JBA stock at much higher than the share price of 250p can't be that
happy, but there are no other options, GEAC isn't going to sweeten the offer.

In my opinion, in the long term, the acquisition will benefit both parties and
hopefully the stockholders as well.  As far as most customers who bought the
software . . . hard to tell.  JBA or GEAC has made no attempt that I know of to
address the customer base of either company.  (Is JBA maybe listening to this??)
Based on either website (www.geac.com, www.jbaworld.com) you will not find
anything helpful to the installed base.  GEAC's website has more recent news
than JBA's.

JBA may (and I hear is) use the opportunity to clean house, sure to be
uncertainty among the ranks.  If GEAC dismantles the upper management structure
of JBA, (Good I think) then what to do with the product development?  I had
heard just maybe (we are talking unsubstantiated rumor here) GEAC might bring
over the development of the product to North America.  I can't imagine how
destabilizing it would be the product (actually many products because of
verticals), but necessary.  Too long has the product been coded in an artificial
vacuum.  A minuscule fraction of user group influence aside,  when have
customers (other than BIG ones) had any direct feedback into the development
cycle?  When would (if ever) version 4.0, components, etc. come out?  What is
GEAC's commitment to JBA products, brands, etc.  What about the whole
implementation infrastructure (although how many recent sales have there been?),
customer service/support organization?  What about all the companies JBA has
acquired, third party relationships, etc.?

Somebody ought to be talking soon.  I'm sure when asked now, the response might
be, "The acquisition hasn't happened yet, this discussion is premature".  I
don't think so, why does GEAC want to buy JBA?  What are their intentions, at
least publicly.  All I got out of the web sites were that each is complimentary
to the other, no real overlap, one augments the other.  Sounds great.  What
about the future? Business as usual with a new parent company, or something
else?

Sorry, I digress.  In summary, I think long term is good for the companies
involved, short term will have negative effects on software support, investments
in product improvements will probably be somewhat on hold, the layoffs in JBA
North America aren't going to help users,  expect general service level to fall
for a little while.

Randy Smith
OMRON Electronics, Inc.

P.S.  Wouldn't hurt a bit to solidify or find relationships with third party
service providers.