  • Subject: Re: JBA System 21
  • From: Bruce Stern <sternb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:01:46 -0500

Brad Cork wrote:

> What modules have you got installed on Version2?
> Why is one of the sites still on Version2?
> Did you migrate the Version3 system from Version2?  If so did you
> encounter any problems from the JBA package or support side?
>
> We are just about to start a major upgrade from an early Version2 that
> has been heavily modified to the lastest version.

Brad,

The first site to go live went onto Version2 in January 1996.  At the
time we contracted with JBA, December 1994, we were told that V2 was
more stable than V3 and we were very concerned about system stability.
We use Advanced Order Entry, Order Entry, the base manufacturing
modules, Purchasing, Requisitions, Inventory, Warehousing, Transport
Planning, and World Trade. As it turns out we had to bring in a fair
amount of V3 code to run our business resulting in something of a mix of
V2 and V3 with a fairly high number of mods, especially in support of
order entry.  We also purchased Scheduled Orders, which we don't use,as
well as Focused Forecasting, not yet used, and Sales Analysis, not used.
We purchased the Interactive Program Generator (IPG) and the companion
Report Generator which we have used extensively.  We also purchased
Guidelines, never used, and recently "traded" it in on Envisage which I
like a lot (although it is a bit quirky).

When the second site was brought up we had in mind to move the mods to
V3 with the second implementation, then uplift the V2 implementation
with the now modified V3 code.  This hasn't happened yet, and may or may
not anytime soon.  We are pretty happy in general with the V2
installation and it is not causing us any major problems to not be on
V3.  If and when that situation changes we at least have a clear
migration path to V3.  The V3 site does not use Transport Planning or
World Trade due to business differences, but did purchase the GL for use
with JBA's analysis tools.  The first site purchased none of the
financial modules, but did get authorization to use the relevant
database files.  Both sites make good use of the Advanced Financial
Integrator to link up with corporate financial systems which include
Software 2000 (now Infinium) and some old, special purpose COBOL
packages.

Each site has a Model 300 AS/400.  The first site, my home base, has a
2042 while the second site only has a 2041 with noticeably poorer
performance.  Both are CISC machines of course.  The first site is now
on V3R2 while the second is still on V3R1 of OS/400.

Hope this is of interest.
Best regards,

Bruce Stern
sternb@erols.com