Dave:

You've gotten some good general and specific advice. A couple employers back,
we needed to keep documentation (imaged documents, supporting data, etc.) for
50 years _after_ the death of the individual being recorded. Seven years
doesn't seem outrageous to me in that respect. However...

Have you considered DVD burners? John Earl mentioned saving receivers with the
*FREE option. That keeps a record of receivers on your system. But keeping
receivers available is a different problem.

Consider saving receivers to savefiles and sending copies to the IFS. You could
use QNTC or NFS (or FTP or...?) to route them to a Windows or Linux server that
can (relatively) cheaply burn them to media that's fairly durable and secure,
even tape. Once in a savefile, you can do just about anything you need to do to
have multiple copies on inexpensive media.

Tom Liotta

"Turnidge, Dave" <DTurnidge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think the problem is that the policy owner is seriously (and maybe
overly) concerned with the perceived ramifications of SOX, and has set
the policy higher than (actually) necessary. The amount of money and
effort being spent on this (that I can see) is mind blowing...

We have security policies, but the main reason I put forward the inquiry
was to get exactly what I got - input, outside our box...