I think the point is that the journal records the fact that user BOB
made the change to the file, but that the reality is that programmer
MARY was responsible for the value being what it was.

As other have said, the problem is programmers having authority to debug
production jobs live in the first place.

I've never heard of any auditors who don't recommend preventing
programmers from having such access to the production box. You if chose
to allow such access then you are choosing to allow such access.

Having said that, I suppose a case could be made that MARY's changing of
a variable using debug ought to be able to be logged somewhere if it
isn't already.  But I don't think the log entry should show in BOB's job
or the file journal.  Instead, the audit journal would be a good place
for the info to be logged or even MARY's job log.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121