rob wrote:

>One thing to beware of with group profiles is that the group profile
>should have NO special authority.  Otherwise, members of that group get
>that special authority.

This is generally true, but can be used if it's applied carefully, i.e., not to
be applied without significant experience and a thorough understanding of the
risks. That's because the individual's authority is checked first, and if a
matching authority is found, the group authority is not looked at.

Example (_not_ recommended, for illustration only):

MYGROUP has *ALLOBJ
MYPROFILE has private *EXCLUDE for file PAYROLL

When MYPROFILE accesses PAYROLL, an authority failure occurs and *ALLOBJ is not
invoked. Access to PAYROLL is denied. The private *EXCLUDE is found and
authority checking ends regardless of authorities that might be found with
further checking.

This is obviously dangerous because of all the individual *EXCLUDEs that have
to be granted for MYPROFILE in order to block every possible workaround (and I
don't think that enough can be granted), but I've used this authority checking
behavior to control specific activities in certain circumstances when the
MYPROFILE user was learning and I wanted particular protections.

>But group profiles only work if you've:
>- Locked down all command line access
>- Locked down all exit points with a good tool
>- Menuing system restricts people from running unauthorized programs.

While this may be more true for special authorities, I'm not clear what it
means for normal application groups. How would giving authority through a group
make any difference instead of giving it to the individual, other than adding a
layer to authority checking?

Note that "group" does not automatically mean "owner" nor should it
automatically mean "special authority". A group profile is a way to give a
uniform set of authorities to the members of the group, with the possibility to
have more granular control for individuals at the same time.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.