Dennis,

I would repost this on the midrange-l list, the security list has been so
quiet for so long I had almost forgotten it was here.

Having said that, I have the following questions and _partial_
recommendations:

0) Given that the word "Bank" is in your company name I would suspect that
there are auditors that will want some say in any plan.

1) Do you have a change-control process? Is there software that manages
source access, changes and promotions. Also, does that software maintain
historical copies of source?

2) What is the current security model? It's very hard to revoke rights (from
a managerial point of view, not a technical one) from people that have had
access to data for a long time.

3) Revoke *PUBLIC rights to the world. Make a production user id (PRODUSER
works) and grant that user change rights to the files. Make your production
files owned by PRODUSER and use adopt authority. This way the only access
people have to your files is through your programs.

3) ODBC makes life harder. Ideally you would use only stored procs to access
the files and as such adopt authority would work. However, if you need "raw"
access to the files then I would grant read (and ONLY read) access to the
files. If there is a need for updating files make them use stored procs. I
would also look at either writing your own exit programs or buying a package
to monitor and control ODBC access.

4) In this model ad-hoc access (DFU, DBU, SQL, etc.) is difficult. There are
two approaches to this access that I've seen, both have merrit. In both
cases it's only IT staff that can use these, these tools are _never_ in the
hands of an end user.

In the first there is a generic user that has access to the files. This user
is used by anyone that needs to use these ad-hoc tools. However, to signon
as this user you must request access which is logged so you know who is
really making the changes. The advantage to this approach is that you have
an easier time granting access to files. The generic user is ganted access
to everything. The disadvantage is that you must look at the log file to see
who was really using that generic user profile.

In the second approach your staff requests access to each file they need to
update. Access is granted, the changes made and access revoked. The
advantage to this is that the human user making the change is the same as
the user profile used. The disadvantage is the increased administrative work
of granting and revoking access.

5) As far as source access goes. I would say that _all_ access to source
must be done through a source control program. In effect your programmers
have read access to the source libraries, but no update rights. This way any
updates are logged and can be rolled back if necessary.

Security is not something you are ever done with. You can't implement
security and call the project "complete", it continues to evolve for ever.
Also, you make no mention of security of either the LAN or tapes, don't
forget those either.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President