Hi Jay,

Am 12.08.2024 um 19:12 schrieb Jay Vaughn <jeffersonvaughn@xxxxxxxxx>:

what is better (in any aspect of better)...
set : x = y
or values y into :x

From a readability point of view, a statement like

exec sql set :number = regexp_substr(:myString, '(\d{1,25})', 1, 'I', 1);

looks more like a typical procedural program line.

On the other side, a statement like

exec sql values (day(:date), month(:date), year(:date)) into :day, :month, :year;

looks (maybe) more natural, with an multi-value assignment. But in fact

exec sql set (:day, :month, :year) = (day(:date), month(:date), year(:date));

does also work, and is (maybe) easier to read for Python programmers (or other programmers, where the language supports multi value assignments).

So I think its a matter of taste. AFAIK (or better seen in compiler listings) both statements generate the same amount of code and the same call in the pre-compiler output - so there shouldn't be any speed difference.

HTH
Daniel