I always do that too (except I use declared indicators, not *IN ones unless
it's for a display or something)... :)

I also like:
x += 1;

Old school RPGers hate that. but I was brought up with Ada, Pascal, C,
etc.. :)

The poor soul who has to maintain that code will be a "coder".. haha..
they'll understand it except for the *IN50 part unless... if it was

optionIs5 = (option = '5');

They may understand it easier. :)