Buck,

INT(5) will hold negative numbers just fine.
-32768 to 32767

UNS(5) will only hold positive numbers

Charles

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 8:08 AM Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/13/2023 9:38 AM, Robert Wenzel wrote:
If I want to convert this data structure from d-specs to free-form, which
of the examples, below, would be correct? I am having trouble with what
the Fixed Binary subfield should be; bindec() or int() and its length.

D FIDS01 DS
D STCSRP 370 371B 0
D SFPAGE 378 379B 0

This is the exact match:

==== Example #1 ====
dcl-ds FIDS01 ;
STCSRP bindec(4:0) pos(370) ;
SFPAGE bindec(4:0) pos(378) ;
end-ds;

Some thoughts:
Stefan's reply to use int(5) is probably preferred if the values in the
subfields are never negative.

The 7.4 reference for RPG data types is at:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?topic=formats-numeric-data-type
Programming > ILE languages > RPG > ILE RPG Reference > Definitions >
Data Types and Data Formats

Another way to look at the memory map in the data structure is to write
a tiny program and compile it. The compiler listing will show the
subfield types and lengths.

--
--buck

http://wiki.midrange.com