Scott -

In the early 80's I wrote a program on the S/38 which would ACQ another device and display a screen which looked identical to the system Sign-On display in order to muck around with other members of our staff...

;-D

Regards,
Steve Landess
512-289-0387

Scott wrote:
Frank,
INVITE, essentially, "unlocks the keyboard" so you can do an output-only operation to a screen,
but still allow keyboard input (in the case of a screen saver,
I'm assuming you'd use it so a key like enter or an F-key will stop the screen saver.)

While you could use it with ACQ to handle multiple displays, that's only one potential use.

Frank wrote:

Quite confused.  Not sure how INVITE would work as a screen saver.
I was never aware that OS400 disconnected inactive jobs.
INVITE is used with ACQ op-code for multiple device coding.  I rarely
used MRT programs, INVITE is used with UDDS to get input from the
device, also rarely used.

From the manual
-----
INVITE (Invite) keyword for display files Use this file- or
record-level keyword to invite the device for a later read. To send an
invite to a specific device, your program sends an output operation to
the device with the INVITE keyword in effect. If the record format
used has output-capable fields, the data is sent to the device before
the device is invited.
This keyword has no parameters.
INVITE must be used if the display file can have multiple _acquired_
devices and your program does read from invited devices operations.