Forgive me if I am misunderstanding but I think this is the situation:

On the prod machine you are calling the SP, and the SP is on the dev machine.

The call on the prod machine uses three part naming to the SP.

The SP on the dev machine if found and starts executing on the dev machine.

The SP fails when it tries to do an insert into a table on the dev machine.

Just prior to the failure the SP succeeds in deleting a record from the table on the dev machine.

The record to be inserted is the result set of a select from the prod machine, the select using three part naming.

So, suggestion:

Can you make a version of the SP which runs just the select logic without an insert clause and see if that works?

If it does, then apparently a combination of an insert to a local database using data from a remote database either has a bug, or is not supported.

Sam