Hi Jim,

It *could* be a data structure -- if that works for the document you're trying to make.   The problem with a data structure is that the data would need to be in fixed positions, which is not typically what you want in a JSON document.  If it works for your particular document, I guess more power to you?

For example, suppose I'm creating this document:

{"custno": 5,"name": "Jim Oberholtzer"}

Your suggestion is to make a data structure, and I assume you mean something like this:

dcl-ds data qualified;
  *n char(10) inz('{"custno":');
  custno zoned(1: 0);
  *n char(9)  inz(',"name":"');
  name char(15);
  *n char(2) inz('"}');
end-ds;

data.custno = 5;
data.name = 'Jim Oberholtzer';

Note that data structures in RPG can be used as strings, so you can pass 'data' to the QtmhWrStout() subprocedure without any problems, since it can be treated as a character string.

But, is it a good idea?  Uhhh... as long as the customer number is always 1 digit long and the customer's name is always 15 characters long.  If you had a longer customer number, then you'd have to make the 'custno' field larger, and then you'd end up with leading zeroes in the JSON document, which has the potential to cause problems.

Likewise, if the customer name was shorter than 15, you'd end up with extra blanks in the name.  If it was longer than 15, it wouldn't fit -- you'd have to expand the name field, which would require even more extra trailing blanks in the name for shorter names.

Data structures really only work for things where the data goes in fixed positions, not where it needs to be in different positions based on the length of the preceding data.

By contrast, if you did this:

*data = '{"custno":' + %char(custno) + ',"name":"' + %trim(name) + '"}';*

Then there'd never be a problem...  things will shift to the right positions, etc, all will work well.

I also find the string expression easier to understand than the data structure approach -- but of course, that's a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type scenario -- everyone will have a different opinion.   In my experience, old-school RPGers (those that came from an RPG/400 background, or earlier) are very used to the data structure approach, but younger programmers are more familiar with string expressions.

Then, you have the problem of making code that works across multiple flavors of EBCDIC.  The example you posted uses %char(LBRACE) and similar things, and the reason you'd do that is for internationalization.  The brace/bracket characters have a different code point in different flavors of EBCDIC.  So both the data structure and string approach that I provided, above, won't work in Germany, Italy, Spain, etc (for example) if they were compiled in the USA or vice-versa.  The %char(LBRACE) approach fixes that problem.   But, you could do the same thing with the data structure approach if you wanted to -- its just harder to do since you're limited in what sort of expressions you can use in an INZ() keyword.

Also, neither example tries to escape any needed characters.  For example if the double-quote character were in someone's name (Something like 'Scott "Darkbagel" Klement') would be problematic since they aren't escaped.  But, again, this would be a similar problem with either the string or data structure approaches.

Stuff like this is why it's much nicer to use a tool like YAJL -- even if you have to call the subprocedure version instead of DATA-GEN -- because it handles all the internationalization and escaping for you.

-SK