On 2021-08-25 4:35 p.m., Alan Campin wrote:
But why would you ever do that Barbara? Doesn't that defeat the whole
concept of service programs?

The main procedure in a cycle module is just an ordinary procedure from the point of view of the system. If you actually wanted the features of the cycle in a service program, I don't think that defeats the purpose of the service program.

One reason you might want a module with a cycle main in a service program is to get the "LR" feature where it closes files when the main procedure ends, reinitializes the global variables on the next call to the main procedure. Each cycle module has its own "LR", so setting on
LR in one module wouldn't have any effect on other modules.

That said, I doubt anyone uses a cycle module for that reason. And I wouldn't actually recommend sticking a cycle module in a service program
or even as a submodule in a program. I'm not sure I'd even actively recommend using a cycle module as the main module for a *PGM, although I wouldn't particularly recommend against it either.