I don't remember the exact details, but you can attach a data queue to the display file, then after writing the display format with invite, sit on a data queue receive for whatever timeout period you want.  If the dtaq times out, you get no data and display your message.

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.