Hi Justin,

The idea of getting stdout from a different command really doesn't make much sense...   It seems more likely that your variables contain data that would be seen as a special value to the shell.  If they have dollar signs, exclamation points, asterisks, etc then it would be easy to get strange results.

Do you know what the variable inputs are at the time when these messages occur?

Do you know what directory you are in, and what files are in that directory?

-SK