Could also test the basic performance profile by taking a subset of the data and extrapolating from that. It didn't;t sound as if the nature of the process precluded that.

On Oct 14, 2020, at 4:39 PM, Scott Mildenberger <smildenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:smildenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

In my opinion the sql approach has the potential for the most bang for the buck. If you know how long the current program runs then you should be able to get a good feel for whether the sql approach is significantly better or not by running at different times. If only marginal improvement then it probably isn't worth it.

Scott Mildenberger | Software Developer | Washington Companies IT Services | 101 International Drive | Missoula, MT | Office: 406-523-1536 | www.washingtoncompanies.com <http://www.washingtoncompanies.com/>

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> On Behalf Of smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 2:28 PM
To: 'RPG programming on IBM i' <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: RE: Performance question of RPG native read vs SQL

My problem with gathering the performance stats is that the machine is never in a quiet state. Something else could be hammering the machine / DASD / memory during one of the tests and I would be comparing apples and oranges.

That is why I was asking for confirmation that what I wanted to do was based on correct information and should help.