Now the compiler will let you use it in place of a varchar(16000000) (which
has a 4 byte header size)

Charles

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 1:57 PM Jack Prucha <Jack.Prucha@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried before cutting them down to a reasonable 1600 but I got parameter
mismatch errors.

I'll try the static

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Charles
Wilt
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2020 3:55 PM
To: RPG programming on IBM i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fields too large for a Subprocedure - CWX9001

It's a system limit...

Add STATIC to the variable declarations inside the procedure and it will
compile...

Note this is really a best practice anyway, for larger i/o "buffer" type
fields, keeps the system from having to re-initalized them every time the
procedure is called. Huge run-time hit when repeatedly called, and
unnecessary if you're using such buffers correctly.

Also, do you really need them that big? Yes, that's the max size that
Scott's routines will return, but if you know you won't get anything that
big back, you can cut them down to a more reasonable size.

Charles