If you want/need an edited version then strip it earlier in the process. Or add a stripped version to the return DS. Or write a subproc who's only role is to strip it and call than whenever the shorter version is required. Or any number of other options - but when you've "done it right" don't screw it up - do it right.

As a general thought ... The only way to make what you suggest work would be to remove the Const keyword from the procedure interface. Which means either changing the caller too or lying to the compiler and having const in one case and not the other - which is dangerous. If you have to change the caller anyway change it to pass the shortened version.

Jon

On Aug 17, 2020, at 8:43 AM, Greg Wilburn <gwilburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All great information... but I'm looking for info a specific procedure within a service program. Maybe I don't have to?

Currently, the input parm has CONST defined. I would like to change my procedure to modify this value. Maybe I don't need to worry about it?

The input parameter is a (scanned) tracking number barcode from UPS, FedEx or USPS. It current returns a DS containing our internal Order & Release number.
I would like to change my service program to also modify the scanned tracking barcode (input) to remove the AI ("420" application identifier) and associated data (zip code) so that I have a true tracking number.

Maybe I don't need to mess with the calling programs at all?

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Wilburn
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 4:29 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: What Programs are using my service program?

Is there an easy way to know what programs on my system are using a particular service program?
How about an individual procedure within that service program?

I have a situation where I need to change the procedure interface of a function. I think I found all of them, but I can't be sure.

TIA
at https://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.

at https://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.