I always remember working with one client where they had a large Windows contingent writing the front end. They were always complaining about how slow the IBM i was. When we drilled into one problem we found that they were retrieving a one MILLION + row result set, displaying it to the end user 25 rows at a time, and rarely did the user ever look at more than 2 pages before finding what they wanted.

Yea - the IBM i may have been "slow" - but not as slow as the brains of the halfwits who thought that was a good design!