The problem with the LDA is that applications think they "own" it.

Frankly I don't think it has anything to do with whether you "know what you are doing". If you have in-house developed apps that use the LDA then you have real problems if you purchase a package that uses it - and the same users need to use both. Or if your company merges with another and both companies thought that the LDA was a good idea. And on an on. It is basically an accident waiting to happen.

None of these issues apply when using parameters.

The LDA was a valid approach in the early years when there was no such thing as parameter passing - but that was a LONG time ago.