Hopefully no-one thinks I was doing any mocking, I certainly was not.

I think most of us on these boards have reasons to be personally grateful
to Scott for his utilities, technical articles and advice.
I know I have, and I've publicly said so - on this very forum.

I was responding genuinely to Thomas's question from my own perspective and
tried to back it up with facts.

I don't pretend to be an expert in regular expressions - most of what I
learned is from Jeffrey Friedl's excellent book "Mastering Regular
Expressions".
That said, I spent a lot of time studying and working my way through the
book, and I learned a lot.

My personal perspective is that every language I've actually coded regular
expressions in - java, python, perl, db2 SQL and javascript has handled the
\s \w notation.
So, I was surprised to hear this described as not standard, because from my
perspective it did seem to be.
I checked a couple of other languages which I haven't used but which I
believe to be modern and popular and the documentation indicated that \s
and \w were supported.

So, by my (perhaps layman's) definition of standard, I thought they were.
That's all I was saying.

And my interpretation of John's response was, I think, as he describes
above. That Scott was talking more about a "technical" kind of standard and
that I was talking more about a "most modern languages seem to have it"
standard.
That seemed fair enough.

No mocking from Craig.