I was very busy the last few days, that's why I did not jump in.
Also as I understood it, he looked for a solution to convert a data
structure into XML.

With SQL we cannot read a data structure, but it is easy to generate the XML
document directly from the database and write it into the IFS.
The SQL statement will be a little tricky, because we have to convert the
data out of the relational database into a hierarchical form.
But when splitting the request into multiple Common Table Expressions
building the information from the lowest level and joining them in the next
CTE to the next level until the XML document is completed, your SQL
statement still stays readable. ... and it is not more difficult than
splitting a program into sub-procedures.

Writing the result of the SELECT statement to the IFS with field reference
variables is very easy (4 Statements)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"
?Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they
don't want to.? (Richard Branson)