Fair and responsive replies, up and down the line.  Especially the *what?*.  :)

As most of you know, programming the midrange platform is my version of a kid's video games.  I'm hobby programming at an average skill level.  I continue to believe that the IBM data base design and implementation is more solid, more complete, and more secure than any other commercial database yet offered to the public.  I also believe the Internet has developed an intuitive user style that is understood across cultures and languages without much need for a Help key.

I believe there are many Internet techniques that we can and should adopt in our 5250 world for our Internet savvy user base. Mouse navigation.  Point & click.  Scroll bars. Sort-by-column subfiles.  Default values saved by application and by user. Push buttons. Check boxes & radio buttons.  Shft-F5, not F-17.

Also: drop down boxes with autocomplete.  Which this question is about.  How does one delete an HTML autocomplete value?  By selecting it and then the Delete key.  How do we do it?  By opening another program and editing a file  -  so 1980s...yuk. This is the answer to the "*what".*

Clearly block entry v. key entry is a stumbling block.  Still, it is not a wall.  Many design problem disappear with a few simple architectural changes; most spectacularly, let's design more single-purpose screens and stop cramming 35 fields onto a single screen.

Two final points:

-This is hobby stuff for me; keeps me out of the back alleys & pool
halls.
-I like challenges like this, so if you throw out a few challenges
for me...  Great!!  :)