The INDARA/INDDS keywords divorce the *IN and *IN() reserved variables from the Display/Print File indicators.

In your code, EDITRECORDMODE and *IN82 are now two completely different variables and *IN82/*IN(82) no longer have any association with Indicator 82 in your program

This works for you, because you ONLY use Indicator 82 in a specific Display File. But what about (older) code which may make a broader use of Indicators? The Pointers/Indicators approach allows new code to be inserted in a program, using meaningful names for existing indicators - without disturbing older existing code. In Jay's example, SFL_CLEAR, *IN80, or *IN(80) can all be used interchangeably to map on to Indicator 80 - wherever it specified or used.

INDARA/INDDS are, (in my opinion) much less flexible than the Pointers/Data Structure approach.

Hope this helps.
Brian.