Hi, Michael,

I think any delays you might notice are more likely due to a chain of "dependent" *SRVPGMs, e.g. where A uses B, and B uses C and so on ... By default, and up through V5R4, when you first activated "A", the system would automatically activate"B", and this would trigger the automatic activation of "C" and so on.

That is why, with V6R1, IBM added the *IMMED or *DEFER option to the BNDSRVPGM parameter on CRTPGM, CRTSRVPGM, UPDPGM and UPDSRVPGM, and ADDBNDDIRE. -- With the new *DEFER option, the IBM i system will defer loading "A" until it is actually needed, e.g. when any of its procedures are actually first called.  And, if "A" was created with the *DEFER option for "B", then "B" would not be loaded and activated until actually needed, and so on, down the line, as long as you specified *DEFER for all of them.

There is a slight overhead for the "stubs" generated to handle this, when *DEFER is specified, but overall, this can be a big "win" when many of those *SRVPGMs might never actually be needed in any given job.  This is a "Pay me now, or pay me later" trade-off.  (Take the "hit" when the job first starts up, vs. spreading that load across the entire duration of the job.)

Note that *IMMED is the default, so the system continues to behave as it always did, unless you take action to specify *DEFER as and where needed on those binder commands.

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury