The language has evolved and there's always "backward compatibility" to consider.

At V6.1, the manual states:
"The name of the procedure interface, specified in positions 7-21, is required for the cycle-main procedure. It is optional for subprocedures. If specified, it must match the name specified in positions 7-21 on the corresponding prototype definition."

Taking this simple example:

         // Cycle main procedure
     H   DftActGrp(*No) ActGrp(*New)

     D MyProc          PR                  ExtPgm('MYPROC')
     D                 PI

     D UserId          S             10A   Inz(*User)

      /Free
         Dsply 'In MyProc' UserId;
         *InLR = *On;
         Return;
      /End-Free

The above code won't compile at V6.1, however it's fine at V7.1 when more flexibility was introduced at the same time as full free-format coding. The manual at V7.1 states:
"The name of the procedure interface is optional. If specified, it must match the name of the corresponding prototype definition."

(BTW, the requirement for the EXTPGM to have a name parameter was relaxed as well.)

HTH,
Brian.