+1

If you need to communicate via a web service (either consumer or provider) and on top you know nothing about ILE (and service programs) then JSON is the least of your worries and shouldn't be on the top of your list but some places down the list. IMHO start with learning about ILE and service programs. The rest doesn't have to be difficult to implement because of all the programs/tools/service programs out there which can be used to achieve both (consume and/or provide a service).

Best regards

Mihael