  • Subject: Re: Writing an Open Access handle that will either read/write to the Db2 file or make a REST call
  • From: "D*B" <dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:47:10 +0100
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 212.227.126.187 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx) smtp.mailfrom=dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=importance:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:date:subject:to :from:message-id; bh=evi2sTAJm/jp1SAxnPk2W8FR1HM+VGCcv1d2sJQ2g1M=; b=jvoF++gJ/qRixtbLFx38+yVXAYOGlVf8JOU5y/qj1UEz/WMmCPo02SIHbfEoDuGtYR zVrVhFnMWGBtWiGUwQpUT4Wpai9Ve2p4YnnYTJvw3QoKbiM9jjBdUIb/RsqtLeL6xQlw 4En/qaajDkru0xNWErgw0r3z7iNZg4HOUZPajevRwV30jKp+mAOunXlVJIwXnosIn7me hn5KlCRnDe7UozEgHYhhcvbx0KsRG8y/hzgQQEVnSjFflOJLqSyZTREC1DEK4vmd4vkM TKWMjqD4a9g2Ae1lQIZ8rooKGxZp20+PGGhT054r4qUyLxyoG9pGeu1jsmyJ/ZnrM0mQ 7Edw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1547657218; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=BAo8IxAqLowcEYD+ekG57JIMSEDLW64b+VnjqutkSc3K55KAzsqd7i8/tacrSQMRdu HDO0H80tfTkRC6cLLLaZuJsP/LXHXPfgSDoDT+yjHyBuWJAfqMFaCpSaxMNzyROy5ywF fAGH8CnKHsjSk1GZ6lU/j0BW0YP7cmNfmyuOn3/l7UbX3jy3Jco8l8EMKPo6CKYImJ3Q LmFltIs2MzaGlsGGERUyidZYZFb5lKoRIV6CJzDUsdVwOqO3TBGvB2IgqNlp7Fj3eO8Q 1IBe9jrNW3OuRFAVcrmpWQYM1RSXCAn7y1WarXVi+CKJejwhH8KzeDp+aPlsmLtoB67U KC6A==

<Jon>
We're just going to have to agree to disagree Dieter.

Suppose I want to use a web service and use an OA handler to enable CHAIN etc. to retrieve data via conventional RPG opcodes. I don't need to write a handler to deal with everything ... just the operations I am going to use. As long as I protect the user by having the handler error out any attempts at usage that is not supported by the handler then I don't see the problem.

You appear to be looking at OA simply from the perspective of enabling database modernization. I also look at it from that perspective but in addition as a vehicle for enabling the use of conventional RPG operations by folks who don't know (or indeed need to know) all the nuances of using web services or whatever.
</Jon>

I agree to disagree!

I would recommend to provide simply a callable proceure. Why should someone use chain and get's a Not_Implemented error, if (s)he tries a setll and read?

Dieter