A lot of people wrote their own versions of CPYTOIMPF, CPYFRMIMPF,
CPYTOSTMF, CPYFRMSTMF. Reasons varied, such as:
- Got tired of the command breaking upon each upgrade of the OS because
IBM changed it (this was big for us).
- Wanted more granularity. For example, if the CPYFRMIMPF failed writing
your own instead allowed you to better handle the exceptions, like trying
to stuff an 18 character item number into a 15 character column (this was
big for us and we didn't want to do it by looking at joblog and manually
processing that).
- Wanted it to perform better. There is some serious SQL under the covers
to handle multiple situations. Run it in debug.
- Wanted to reduce I/O. Why convert to some holding DB2 file and then
post that into the final result when you can go direct?