Good chart for comparison - easier to grok than my verbose prose!!

Cheers
Vern

On 12/20/2018 10:15 AM, Charles Wilt wrote:
On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM <MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Some clarification below--well, it will probably be even muddier with my
input.

Before I go there, I say check with your IBM Business Partner. They'll
have the latest pricing. Then can sometimes get a discount from IBM's list
pricing.

I found options for RDi licensing are described by searching for "RDi
floating license"--my result was:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?mhq=RDi%20floating%20license&mhsrc=ibmsearch_a&uid=swg22014195

The floating license price on the site Buck gives is $913 . . .
I don't think this is the floating license--it's the annual PER USER
license. It's only valuable if you've got a short-term need--e.g., a
project where you've hired a temporary developer who you absolutely are
not going to retain longer than a year.

I don't think that's allowed with that license. It specifically states
"per user per year." It sounds like two users even using it at different
times would require two of these licenses.

Vern is on the right track...

Floating licenses as describe at the link you posted and as priced here:
https://tinyurl.com/ybou52px

Are purchased yearly for $913 per concurrent user, not named or authorized
user.

In the OP's case, he could purchase 10 floating licenses, for use by 10
people in the US during the day and 10 other people overseas at night.
"Floating licenses are installed on a Rational License Key Server and the
RDi client connects to the designated floating license server to acquire a
license for a time-limited period. Once that time expires, the license will
need to be acquired again. If the floating license connections exceed the
number of floating licenses available, the newest user will not be able to
access RDi until a license is released."

The alternative would be to purchase 20 Authorized user licenses, then keep
renewing the maintenance.

If I did the math right, assuming $800 trade up cost for RDi and $225/year
maint....
Authorize User Floating
Number of Users 20 10
Year 1 16000 9130
Year 2 20500 18260
Year 3 25000 27390
Year 4 29500 36520

So floating has a significant;y smaller upfront cost. But authorized user
has a lower TCO at year 3.

Charles