Hi Peter
Been somewhat busy - but have been trying to follow this thread
You said that your program is
Doing a "DOU NOT %EOF(filename)
Then an EXSR X1 to the read routine where the read on the file is
BEGSR x1
READ FILENAME;
endsr

Shouldn't that be
DOU %EOF(filename)
Exsr X1
Enddo

Then in X1
read arlcu;
if not %eof(arlcu)
if cunano = savcuno;
count4 = count4 + 1;
endif;

savcuno = cunano;
count1 = count1 + 1;
endif

I am assume that savcuno is defined like(cunano)

Alan Shore
E-mail : ASHORE@xxxxxxxx
Phone [O] : (631) 200-5019
Phone [C] : (631) 880-8640
'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
Winston Churchill