On 10/15/18, 7:20 AM, Bruce Vining wrote:

Several of the MI programs I created no longer run or compile (I forget
which, it's been several years) because the default authority levels on
newer systems blocks them, and I'm not going put up a fight to be able to
use them. Also, I think some of them have been obsoleted by new APIs.

Many, many years ago, our QuestView product, even at V2R3, would not run under Security 40, because it employed hacks that were either undocumented or formally deprecated. It was all anybody could do to keep up with OS changes. I took it upon myself to find and remove those hacks, and replace them with calls to documented, published, public APIs (and also to hand-optimize the code, to make it smaller, faster, and easier to maintain). To this day, the heart of QuestView is an OPM MI program that, in hardcopy source listings, fills two thick 3-ring binders. But it is free of privieged and/or deprecated instructions, and so far, it has been rare indeed to find an OS update that breaks it. While V6 made it necessary to provide separate V4-compatible and V6-compatible versions of each new release, that is only necessary in order to ship them in non-observable form, for they come from exactly the same source code.

--
JHHL

--
JHHL