I would expect an RLA WRITE operation that touches the ID column to write whatever happens to be in the buffer at that time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Richards [mailto:craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:24 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Identity Columns

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply.
Hmm that's kind of concerning.

My issue so far has always manifested itself on a WRITE.
But it happens that I've always ended up in a WRITE situation from my "work with" program by copying another record.

That said, in the program the file is qualified and the qualified version of the ID column does not appear anywhere in the source.

I'll have a play and see if come up with anything based on the idea that a previous update might have corrupted things.

Because despite all of this talk about environments and activation groups and closing files and cursors ( which I think I have a pretty good handle on ) that is all irrelevant if the RLA is not supposed to have any impact on an ID GENERATED ALWAYS column...

best regards,
Craig