The workaround is that I defined new host variable fields using LIKE() on
fields from a different logical (which was already being used in the
program), which used the PREFIX(X) keyword on the F-spec for that logical.
So, using the code using QCLSRC as the externally described file:

FQCLSRC IP E DISK RENAME(QCLSRC:SOURCEFILE)
FQRPGLESRC IS E DISK RENAME(QRPGLESRC:SOURCERPG) PREFIX(X)
d NegotiatedCount...
d s 9 0
d Sq_SrcSeq s LIKE( xSrcSeq)
d Sq_SrcDat s LIKE( xSrcDat)
d Sq_SrcDta s LIKE( xSrcDta)
DCOMPARE DS
D SrcSeq
D SrcDat
D SrcDta
DSAVE DS
D SV_SrcSeq LIKE(SrcSeq)
D SV_SrcDat LIKE(SrcDat)
D SV_SrcDta LIKE(SrcDta)

sq_SrcSeq = sv_SrcSeq ;
sq_SrcDat = sv_SrcDat ;
sq_SrcDta = sv_SrcDta ;
Exec SQL set :NegotiatedCount =
( select count(*) as aCount
from QCLSRC
where SrcSeq = :sq_SrcSeq
and SrcDat = :sq_SrcDat
and SrcDta = :sq_SrcDta );
*inLR = *on;

I can't use EXTNAME on the COMPARE DS because there are many more fields
defined in the file than what is needed in the DS.

QUALIFIED TEMPLATE would cause mass confusion amongst some of my
colleagues. This is my reality. I'm better off with the kludge.

Since you're here, Barbara, I'll go ahead and ask the question: Does the
SQL0312 error appear to be a bug, in your opinion, or do you think this is
working as designed?

- Dan