Thanks for All the replies.

With the help of all the replies and further research on my part I think I've found three areas for improvement.

First, by running a database monitor for QZDASOINIT for a short time I was able to see that some full table scans are being performed.

Second, I saw (by checking the external program called in the stored procedures) that some were compiled with actgrp(*caller) and this would result in the external program and called programs (assuming they are defined as *caller as well) running in the DAG.

Third, that if the actgrp was not *caller it was *new.

So for the first issue I thought this could be fixed by creating the indexes suggested in the DBmonitor;  IIRC,  even if a index is created the optimizer still may not use the index.

With that in mind, our set up is we have a development box that mirrors production.  I thought the best way to test if we would benefit from a new index would be start a DBMonitor on the dev box, create the index and then using the values from the DBMonitor on the production box call the stored procedure on the dev box and check the DBMonitor results on the dev box to see if the full table scan was eliminated.  If it was eliminated then create the index on the production box.

Does this sound right?

For the second issue change the activation group of the external program to not be *caller.  The new value depends on the answer to the third issue.

For the third issue I'd appreciate clarification that my understanding is correct.

First, a little background.  We have a web server on the IBM i but as far as I know (and I'll confirm this for myself) it only serves responses for stored procedures.  Both our intranet and internet sites are hosted on the Microsoft platform and access data on the IBM i by calling stored procedures.  I will also assume that any programs called by the external program on the stored procedure are compiled with *caller (again I will need to confirm this).

There are many QZDASOINIT jobs for user WEBUSER that are in TIMW status just waiting for a stored procedure to be called.  For now, I only want to think about one job.

When the server job starts processing the stored procedure/external program an activation group is created.  This is regardless of the program specifying *new or a named activation group.  I guess I need clarification that after the external program ends this is the end of the job.  The named activation group is destroyed.  That the named activation group doesn't persist for the life of the server (QZDASOINIT) job but rather only persists for the life of the external program.

So if *new or a named activation group is specified for the external program, each time it processes a stored procedure it will create and destroy the activation group.  So my understanding would be that if all programs called by the external program specified *caller and the external program didn't call itself then there wouldn't be any difference (under the previous circumstances) between *new and named activation groups. In both cases when the external program starts an activation group is created and when the external program ends the activation group is destroyed.

So our existing strategy of the initial program using *new should be acceptable.

Thanks again,

Rob