"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 02/07/2018 03:43:58
PM:
Wowser! 83 modules?!

That said, will there be any great advantage in having a separate
*SRVPGM for each individual *MODULE? (If I read you correctly.) Still 83

objects!

Might it work better to have multi-module *SRVPGMs?

There is very little guidance on good practice, ('cos every situation is

different). However, the ILE Concepts manual does offer this,

"Try to limit the number of service programs your application uses.
This may require a service program to be created from more than one
module.
The advantages are a faster activation time and a faster binding
process.
There are no simple answers for the number of service programs an
application
should use. If a program uses hundreds of service programs, it is
probably using
too many. On the other hand, one service program may not be practical
either."

I'm not part of that project (this time) so I don't know exactly
what design its final form will take. I designed the original when it had
only about 30 modules and it has grown since then. It was done as bound
modules to eliminate the time to dynamically load separate programs as
they are called.

But, now, it seems they are more concerned with memory footprint
than time for dynamic program loads. And since all modules are not needed
all the time (but likely will be needed at least once per day), they
figured there was no reason to have to load the entire program on job
startup.

So, by using *DEFER it would prevent the current drain we see when
the ~600 jobs start up (and the amount of temporary storage that remains
allocated all day long). The service programs will be loaded only as they
are needed and we think they will stay in memory better than
dynamically-called programs -- thus preventing having to reload programs
over the course of the day-long time these jobs run (they get shut down
while we take a system backup, then started back up immediately after).

Sincerely,

Dave Clark