The pointers can get you stuck, I know - little joke there!

The stuff in my COMMON presentation has example code in the doRead procedure, which I'll show here:

D nvInputdslikeds(QrnNamesValues_T)

Dbased(@nvInput)

D islike(TInt)

D lenslike(TInt)

D flddslikeds(QrnNameValue_T)

Dbased(@Fld)

d valslike(T4096String) based(@val)

d rtnBufferslike(T4096String)

d tempValslike(T4096String)

d float4s4f

d float8s8f

nvInput is the names and values for a single record in your RPG program - it has all the structure you need - I would not move your local DS into it, as you've broken some pointer relationship, seems to me, in doing that.

@nvInput is the address to this DS as given to you by RPG in the namesValues element of the handler DS, and I set @nvInput to that, as here:

@nvInput= pHdlrInfo.namesValues;

Now you have an RPG variable that is actually the content that is at the address namesValues - you don't need an extra DS, you work with this one.

Now you get each field's value from the SELECT statement (I used a 4096-character variable, tempval), up to the number of fields, which is an element of nvInput.

for i= 1 to nvInput.num;

Then you derefence a couple more pointers, for clarity, I suppose: I set @fld to the address of the i-th element in the handler NV fields array, and then base the val variable on the pointer in the field DS that has the address of the actual textual data - everything is text here.

// Set pointers for variables - makes debugging easier

@fld= %addr(nvInput.field(i));

@val= fld.value;

Then you do some conversion from the value you got from the SELECT (convert to character representation that RPG would do with %char), get the length you can use - there's a maximum length in the fld structure - then set val to what you want it to be:

    fld.valueLenBytes= len;

// Set value

%subst(val: 1 : len) = tempVal;
end for;

You are working directly here with the memory space you are given by the OA runtime from RPG - no extra DS to muddy the waters.

HTH
Vern