On 12 September 2017 at 17:40, Dan <dan27649@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, I'm on a runaway train now with service programs, taking time off-hours
(I'm a contractor) to learn all of this stuff, and now stumbling onto
conditional compiler directives.

Kudos on your desire to learn!

I've always disliked the idea of keeping prototypes in their own source
file, usually QPROTOSRC.

Interesting. I've always felt a little saddened by those who prefer
to keep all the source in one source file. That decision mandates
allocating at least one of the ten precious characters to designate
the source type. Which is fine, I suppose, but stuffing the source
type into the object name seems...redundant on a system that
explicitly tracks objects by name + type. Unless of course one also
has a special compiling system that strips the object type designator
out of the name, which would mean that the source member has a
different name to the object. Which is also fine, I guess. Everyone
ought to look at the object description to find the source anyway, so
if I were going to go that route I'd eliminate 'sensible' object names
altogether, like IBM do, and have object names like P000000001 and
D000000001, where the source members might be SRC(EMAILUPDTR) and
SRC(EMAILUPDTD)

So, while I was searching for information on how
to use /DEFINE, /IF DEFINED, etc., I found Jon and Susan's article at
http://ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/developer/rpg/iseries-extra--using-conditional-compiler-directiv/?page=2
and opened up "Code Sample 1" (pasted below), which appears to be an answer
to avoiding QPROTOSRC files. My question: Is anyone actually using this
technique? If anyone has considered using it, but decided not to, can you
explain why?

I think the expected benefit is that when editing with SEU, one can
change the PR and PI in the same editing session. Welp, I've been
using RDi and predecessors since before ILE was released. So I never
had an issue opening up multiple source members (DDS and RPG, QPROTO
and QRPGLE, QRPGLE, QCL, and QFMT) and editing the lot all together at
the same time. I have colleagues who prefer fewer source files, and
when I ask why, it's just a feeling, or a preference. Well, if that's
how one feels, there we are :-) I don't think it's going to break up
any friendships if we have different preferences.

--buck