I have read the answers and the documentation and I disagree with your
assessment of my problem. Since I don't know the file or fields in advance,
using set descriptor means that I have to change the field definition of
every field that I am retrieving to make it work. That leads to a lot of
convoluted code.

for fieldno = 1 to numColumns
select
when fieldtype = character
set descriptor local :descName
value :fieldno
length = 32000;
when fieldtype = numeric
set descriptor local :descName
value :fieldno
length = x;
when fieldtype = decimal
set descriptor local :descName
value :fieldno
length = x,x; <== I didn't look this up
endsl;
endfor;

And, if I make it completely generic as requested, I have to include a
similar block of code for all of these types too.

BIGINT
VARCHAR(n)
DATE (DATETIME_INTERVAL_CODE = 1)
TIME (DATETIME_INTERVAL_CODE = 2)
TIMESTAMP (DATETIME_INTERVAL_CODE = 3)
BINARY(n)
VARBINARY(n)
DOUBLE PRECISION
FLOAT
INTEGER
ZONED DECIMAL(n)
REAL
ROWID
SMALLINT

Have I missed something in the answers or documentation?